Visitor Guide to Warrington
Explore the Picturesque Town of Warrington
Warrington – A History
The pleasant town of Warrington is located in Cheshire on the banks of the River Mersey. It’s always been a busy town because of its position on the river, and has been ever since it was founded in the Romans era. The town has seen its fair share of history; the walls of the parish church are pit-marked with dents from civil war cannons. Plus, Oliver Cromwell was said to have stayed near the town centre during the war. Warrington is now a bustling new town that boasts a number of attractions and sites.
Shopping in Warrington
Warrington boasts a number of shops and boutiques for visitors and locals alike to stock up on clothes, gifts and food. There are a number of shops throughout the town, especially along the high street. There are also a couple of places dedicated to shopping which we’ve detailed below.
Golden Square Warrington
One of the best places for shopping in Warrington is the Golden Square shopping centre. It has a number of shops, including major high street stores, such as H&M, Marks and Spencers, and Debenhams. There are also a number of smaller, local shops that offer great, unique items. If you get peckish while shopping then you can pop into one of the many restaurants, including ASK and Nandos, or pick up a coffee at one of the many outlets.
Located conveniently in the town centre, the Warrington Market has over 200 stalls offering a range of products including clothing and fresh food. There are also a number of items produced by local crafts people. It’s an ideal place to purchase gifts.
Things to Do in Warrington
Visitors to Warrington will never be bored as there are a number of activities to get up to in the area.
- LA Bowl – Situated on Winwick Quay, LA Bowl provides you with the chance to have a fun game of bowling with friends or family. As well as bowling, there is also a karaoke bar and dodgems to keep everyone amused. Plus, there’s a bar and restaurant so you can eat while you play.
- Cinema – There is an Odeon cinema situated in the Westbrook Centre in Warrington. The chain cinema has several screens and shows all the new releases. Perfect if you fancy catching a film.
- Gulliver’s World – A great family day out, Gulliver’s world is a theme park near the town. It has over 90 rides and experiences that suit all ages.
- Speedkarting Warrington – This go-karting facility has the largest indoor go-karting circuit in the UK. It’s ideal for children and adults alike and has a three story multi-level go-karting area.
- Warrington Museum & Art Gallery – The museum has over 200,000 objects and art to see so it will keep you pretty busy. It’s also great for kids as there is an interactive Time Tunnel for them to enjoy.
- Walton Hall and Gardens – This Elizabethan style hall is situated in award winning gardens which are open to the public. They’re ideal to visit at any time of year but particularly the summer when the weather is good.
- Jellybeans Play Centre – If you have energetic young children then Jellybeans is the perfect place to take them. It has a soft play area, an indoor climbing wall, a six slot racing track and many more activity areas that kids will love. Plus, there’s a cafe for adults to enjoy while their children are playing.
Restaurants in Warrington
There are a number of eateries in Warrington that cover all sorts of foods. Here are a few of our favourites:
- ASK Italian
- The Grill on the Square
- Bombay 8
- The Cotton Mill
Hotels in Warrington
Don’t worry about finding places to stay in Warrington; there are plenty of hotels to suit all budgets, including chains and individual hotels. Here are a few of our top ones:
- Premier Inn Warrington
- Park Royal Hotel
- Fir Grove Hotel
- Victoria Lodge
- Best Western Hotel
If you’re visiting Warrington then you’ll need to know how to get around. There are a number of taxi companies in Warrington which will aid you in getting from A to Z.
- On Time Travel – 01925 572 926
- Direct Taxis – 01925 244 244
- Ken’s Taxis Warrington – 01925 861 673
- 242 Cars – 01925 242 242
Hopefully you’ll have a safe and fun filled trip to Warrington, but just in case something bad happens you should know the details of the local hospital. The Warrington Hospital is managed by the Warrington & Halton Hospitals NHS Foudation Trust. It focuses on emergency and specialist care. It’s situated to the north of the town centre and is easily accessible. Contact the hospital switchboard on 01925 635 911.